The following guidance is subject to change as the PUC finalizes any rulemaking orders.

If you have questions that are not specific to solar facilities, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions

If you are unable to find the response to your question, please contact PennAEPS customer service


Is there a restriction on the size of a solar system for it to be eligible to earn Solar AECs?

By definition, a solar system can be any size and can earn Solar AECs when the system delivers the electricity it generates to the distribution system of an EDC or to the transmission system operated by an RTO.

Can a PennAEPS application be submitted after a facility is placed online?

If an application is submitted more than 30 days after utility interconnection approval is issued, the application must include a meter photo (if a revenue grade kWh meter is installed) or inverter photo(s) capturing the total kWh as of the time when the application is submitted. The verified meter reading submitted at the time of application will be the starting point to earn AECs. Solar systems older than five years at the time of registration are required to report readings to earn credits. No system older than five years at the time of registration, regardless of size, is allowed to utilize estimated readings.

How are estimates calculated?

The PennAEPS Administrator calculates estimates for each solar facility using PV Watts, a program maintained by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. The estimates take into account the size, location, orientation and tilt of the solar system. For details on the specific estimate of an alternative energy system, or for information regarding estimates of a non-solar system, please contact PennAEPS customer service.

Can my facility earn Solar AECs based on estimated production?

Docket L-2014-2404361 implementing changes to the Pennsylvania alternative energy portfolio standards program was published and effective as of November 19, 2016. One of the changes in the order pertained to the use of production estimates for facilities with a nameplate capacity of 15 kilowatts or less.

A facility may earn Solar AECs based on PV Watts estimates if the facility received utility interconnection approval as of May 17, 2017 or sooner, is less than 15 kW DC, does not have a revenue-grade PV meter for logging kWh production, or meet additional conditions outlined in Section § 75.63.(g) of the Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard

A facility must use actual, metered production if the facility received interconnection approval as of May 18, 2017 or later.  Inverter readings are acceptable as metered data.

I have a revenue-grade meter installed next to my inverters. Can I use estimated production to earn my credits?

No. Facilities using a revenue-grade meter must report the meter readings to PJM-GATS. Any system with a revenue-grade meter installed to total the system’s inverters must utilize the meter as this is the most accurate way to record credits.

What do I do if I expand my system?

An alternative energy supplier who expands their system will need to create a new “aspect” of their current system. To add  additional panels to an existing, certified solar PV array fill out an application as a “A New Facility” and select “Yes” when asked if this is an addition to a system that already has a PA certificate number. Within the application, provide information including tilt, orientation, size, module information, etc.  Photos of the new panels and a utility interconnection approval document for the additional panels will need to be provided.  The PennAEPS Administrator will then approve the aspect as part of the existing certification.

If I own multiple systems in multiple locations do I need to open a new account?

No. When adding a new system, alternative energy generators must apply for the second facility within the same account. Please note that this is not considered an “aspect” of an existing system, but would be a new facility with a new certification number. Be sure to select the option to provide a physical address for the plant, if the plant is not located at the address linked to the owner’s account.

What happens when the contract I signed with my aggregator expires?

If you have a contract with an aggregator that you will not renew at expiration,  please contact the the PennAEPS Administrator at two months prior to contract expiration and indicate that you will not renew your contract and provide the contract expiration date. If the contract is not renewed by the expiration date, PennAEPS will notify the aggregator and system owner that the contract has expired and generation data will revert to the system owner for tracking and future crediting purposes.

Can I keep my AECs when I sell my home?

AECs are expected to remain with the home. Any arrangement made between the buyer and the seller will be at the risk of both parties. In order to update AEC ownership, both parties must provide a copy of the PJM-GATS system change form and Closing Disclosure or HUD 1 Settlement Statement to the Administrator by email at All information from the Closing Disclosure or HUD 1 Settlement Statement can be redacted except the names and signatures of the buyers and sellers and the closing date.